BY MIKE KILLBREATH
CCN Executive Editor
MUNDY TWP. (CCN) — Trustee Kyle Ward has became the first member of the Mundy Township Board of Trustees to express opposition for the proposed mega site located on a 1,200-acre location bordered by Linden Road, Jennings Road, Elms Road and Maple Road.
"I've seen signs all over the township opposing the Mega Site,," Trustee Ward said at Monday night's (June 24, 2024) township board meeting. "I'm elected to serve the people and I have not seen one sign supporting the Mega Site. For that reason, I'm against it."
Trustee Ward's comments came after more speakers Monday night from the podium at the public comment portion of a township board meeting. Mega Site opponents have also flooded previous meetings — demanding answers from their elected leaders about what's going on and why everything is being kept secret.
A Facebook group has more than 2,100 members who oppose the Mega Site. Allegations have been leveled there about non disclosure documents being signed by elected officials and a potential battery plant or a semiconductor plant to build chips for electric vehicles being built by a foreign company. Most of the EV industry is currently fueled by plants in South Korea, Taiwain or Communist China.
The issue has been a hot topic in Mundy Township for about a year. Residents have also marched to the podium for public comments at previous township board meetings and organized other meetings of citizens concerned about the project. Neighboring residents who live near the Mega Site in Flint Township and the City of Swartz Creek have also expressed concerns.
"We can't take a position or we can get sued," Mundy Township Supervisor Tonya Ketzler told Mega Site opponents Monday night.
She invited residents to attend an 11 am meeting at Mundy Township Hall on Tuesday (June 25, 2024) after one speaker asked questions about state plans to possibly pump another $250 million of tax dollars into the Mega Site.
Many went to Monday's board meeting because they were mad about police activity at a controversial picket sign protest four days earlier outside a political fundraiser for Mundy Township Clerk Tonya Ketzler at Redwood Lodge.
The Flint Genesee Group, a Flint non-profit organization headed by CEO Tim Herman, has received more than $10 million in two grants from Governor Gretchen Whitmer's push to build plants to supply the electric vehicle industry. The grants were from the Michigan Economic Development group and approved by the state legislature before being signed by Governor Whitmer to go toward the proposed development in Mundy Township. An additional $250 million was approved two weeks ago by the Michigan Strategic Fund and the funding request was sent to the floor of the State House of Representatives in a 17-9 vote a few hours before Thursday's protest with picket signs last week. Two committee members passed instead of voting.
Herman's group gets another $250 million if the State House approves it and he also gets approval from the State Senate. All indications are that Governor Whitmer will then sign the funding request.
She has been featured during the past two weeks on mid-Michigan TV stations on a 30-second commercial paid for by a climate change PAC in California. Gov. Whitmer praises President Joe Biden's push for electric vehicles and calls her state a leader in supplying batteries for EV's and contributing thousands of new, good-paying jobs. Not a single battery factory has yet been built in Michigan though although one was revealed last week for Delta Township, near Lansing, and the Detroit News confirmed two weeks ago that $687 million in state tax dollars was dumped into a proposed battery factory in Big Rapids to be owned by a company from Communist China.
Herman's representative, Tyler Rossmaessler who is Director of Economic Development for the Flint & Genesee Economic Alliance, has told media and state officials that his group will "let everyone know what's coming to the Mega Site after they get the money."
Rossmaessler has promised "thousands" of jobs are coming to the Mega Site. The average battery factory, however, employs only 92 people, according to the Battery Factory Manufacturers Association of the United States. National Labor Bureau statistics reveal an average of only about 50 jobs for the average chip plant since an industry association currently lists only 350 plants and 24,340 jobs for the entire USA.
One member of the Facebook group opposing the proposed Mega Site (John Smith although he told The Daily Gazette that's not his real name) posted a conversation last week with one of Herman's employees — Joel Feick. He explained that the post was taken down at Feick's request after his comment triggered an avalanche of responses. Feick was quoted as saying, "We don't know what's coming because we don't have a buyer yet for the property."
Jennifer Arrand Stainton, who organized the picket protest outside Supervisor Ketzler's political fundraiser last week, was adamant that state officials voting for Herman's funding are "wasting more than $260 million in tax dollars when they don't even know what the plan is."
Stainton was also critical of Metro Police Authority Chief Matt Bade for dispatching so many police officers to "stop the picketers from protesting" and demanded to know who ordered the massive police presence. Bade said he would address any issue at a Wednesday (June 26, 2024) meeting at the police station.
The Daily Gazette also put forth questions at the public comment portion of the meeting. One asked Chief Bade and Township Attorney Attorney Jack Beltzer to explain how patrols were allowed since officers told picketers that roads within the Gateway Center off Hill Road are private property, and state law prohibits patrols on private property and only allows responses to 911 calls or an investigation into a case. Another question was posed about how Beltzer allowed a Freedom of Information request to hide the contents of so-called non disclosure items and documents with developers after the Michigan Press Association successfully won a Supreme Court decision in Bisio vs. Clarkston — a case re-affirming law enacted by the Michigan Open Meetings Act in 1976. Clarkston officials attempted to shield documents with a developer from a FOIA request, too. The Supreme Court voted 6-1 it was illegal in a 37-page decision.
Beltzer and Chief Bade did not react to The Daily Gazette's questions to the dismay of audience members at the board meeting.
Stainton, who is running as a Republican against incumbent Democrat Ketzler for Supervisor in November 2024, vowed to make complaints to the Genesee County Sheriff's Department, Michigan State Police and the Michigan Attorney General's office about police trying to keep picketers away last week from Ketzler's political fundraiser event. See Related Story
Stainton said she rented a hotel room at Gateway Center to park closer to Hill Road where the picket demonstration was forced to set up and also to field questions from media all day from around the area and around the state. A story about her protest was aired by WJRT ABC 12, WNEM CBS 5 and Mid-Michigan Now on TV 25 and TV 66.
ABC TV 12 reported that Rossmaessler issued a written statement about the State House Appropriation Committee sending the funding request forward to the State House. His statement said: "We truly appreciate the incredible support for our efforts to bring thousands of jobs to Genesee County by members of the state House Appropriations Committee."
State Rep. Jasper Martus, a Democrat from Flushing, put forth the motion to give Herman's group $250 million more — telling TV 12 it would be "the largest economic investments in Genesee County in generations." He added, "This initiative will offer jobs and economic security to thousands of our friends and neighbors. At its height, GM employed 85,000 jobs in our community. That number has dwindled to less than 10,000. Today, we begin to reverse decades of underinvestment,” he said in a statement to ABC12.
No press releases are posted on the Flint Genesee Group's web site, but Rossmaessler also told ABC TV 12 in his statement: “We have seen a lot of interest in this site. It’s one of the best in the country because of its close proximity to a railroad, Bishop airport and I-69 and I-75, and the nearby talent pool of skilled trades workers and three great local colleges.”
Rossmaessler told The Detroit News: "Genesee County is known as a leader in building the products that impact the daily lives of those all over the world. Bringing an advanced manufacturer to our area will again position the county as a leader in cutting-edge technology. As a result, we’ll spark investment and revenue growth that supports our schools, roads and public safety agencies. It will also boost our local economy and attract new businesses and investment in our community."
State Rep. Sarah Lightner, a Republican from Springport, voted against the motion and issued a press release, saying: “The lack of information surrounding most of these projects is deeply troubling and unacceptable. Michigan taxpayers have the right to know exactly how their money is being used, and they expect real, measurable outcomes from these investments. The Mundy Township project, in particular, is a huge risk. We've been provided with next to no information to show that it even qualifies for SOAR funding. There’s no evidence that Genesee County or Mundy Township has any substantial stake or involvement in this project, and officials have admitted that equipping the area with the necessary water and sewer services for a large industrial site will be extremely expensive."
Stainton and others opposed to the idea say the environmental damages done by the plants to support EV's far out-weighs the possible impact of any jobs but wasn't alone in questioning if thousands of good-paying jobs can be created.
One citizen said Mundy Township residents want to preserve the community's rural lifestyle, too.
Stainton urged voters to support candidates who oppose the Mega Site. "We need to stop this," she said. "That's why I support you elect Leah Davis and Zack Sack." She told The Daily Gazette that one other current board member in addition to Trustee Ward has privately told her of intentions to soon come out with public opposition against the proposed project. Stainton said Ward's announcement caught her by surprise Monday.
"He wants to listen to the residents who elected him that and I'm elated he made that clear to the other members of the board," she said.
Davis and Sack are running for one of the four township trustee positions along with Dan Morey, Trustee Ward and the other three incumbents .— Kimberly Jimenez, Debra Ridley and Mark Gorton. Jimenez, Ridley, Gorton and Morey are Democrats. Davis, Sack and Ward are Republicans.
Incumbent Democrat Cory Jo Bostwick is unopposed for re-election and newcomer Danelle Barker is also unopposed for Treasurer. Barker is a Republican.
Clerk Bostwick told The Daily Gazette that she "didn't want to talk about anything" unless there were questions about being a registered voter. She also engaged in screaming matches with citizens that were captured on tape by witnesses.
"Her attitude is simply shameful," said one witness who provided the recordings to the Daily Gazette. "You need to make her famous. Nobody will believe an elected official can talk to her constituents like that."
PHOTO CAPTION: Pictured above this story is Mundy Township Trustee Kyle Ward. He was first elected in 2020 as a Republican.